Monday, August 3, 2009

Great Wall v5.0

My fifth time on the Wall: doing the Jinshanling --> Simatai hike with Hella and Tony. Lovely hike, but please don't try to take public transportation, cuz there isn't a bus that goes from Simatai anymore...

Basically it was a bus and taxi disaster, involved angry bargaining, friendly conversation, the taxi driver patiently explaining that "ayi" and "shushu" implies the parties in question being younger than my parents, and in this case it seems as if they are older than my parents, so I should call them something else, except I wasn't calling them that in the first place because I'm incapable of remembering it.




At the end, at the bus station at Dongzhimen, Hella and Tony tried to buy a little bit of some dried fruit stuff and the guy cut off a huge chunk, chopped it up, and then tried to intimidate them into getting the whole 100 kuai portion. It almost came to blows... but I'd bought a naan from a nice looking guy at the next cart over, and I managed to convince him of our 道理, so he very kindly stepped in and calmed the dried-fruit-stuff-seller down.

Not pleasant, though. I hate it when they try to cheat us just cuz we're white and stupid-looking.

I'd left at 6:30am and got back at 10:30pm... and then I think Lucie and I went out to Propaganda until 4am. Was that the night? I'm pretty sure it was...

No comments:

Post a Comment